Mo Botanical Gardens

The Missouri Botanical Garden was created by Henry Shaw, a prominent St. Louis businessman who opened his garden to the public in 1859. Inspired by the gardens of his native England, including Chatsworth and the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, and guided by the eminent botanist Dr. George Engelmann. Mr. Shaw intended his garden to be a center for education, scientific research and horticultural display.

Click on any photo below to magnify

Japanese Garden


Linnean House


Purple Tulips


Swift Family Garden,
front of the Linnean House


Daylily Garden


Japanese Flowering Cherry,
A symbol of Spring and Life


Cacti in the Desert House


Red Rose,
Gladney Rose Garden


Milles Sculpture Garden,
Climatron (background)


Blooming Azaleas,
Japanese Garden,


Orchids and Spanish
Moss, inside Climatron


William T. Kemper Center,
for Home Gardening


Tortoise Island (background),
Japanese Garden


Orchid on Tree Limb,
Climatron


Teahouse Island,
Japanese Garden


Flowering Lily Pads,
Milles Sculpture Garden


Pink Orchid,
Climatron


Chenille Plant,
Climatron


Feeding Koi Fish in Pond


Fountain inside Rose Garden


Hybrid Tea Roses,
Gladney Rose Garden

[ Home ] [ St. Louis ] [ Missouri Botanical Garden (Official) ]

Website Design, Graphics and Construction by Lynn Marie Tillquist
Photographs by Lynn Marie Tillquist
1999 copyright